The age of life sciences
- On July 13, 2016, students from School of Life Sciences, USTC travel to Shanghai for a one-day visit to WuXi AppTec and National Center for Protein Science, to feel and learn the cutting-edge applications of life sciences and technology.
First stop of the trip in Shanghai is WuXi AppTec, a new medicine development company, is a leading pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device research and development outsourcing company, an excellent representative of the independent innovation, and has become one stop during the Prime Minister keqiang Li 's visit in Shanghai. Here, students are warmly welcomed by the Wuxi company leaders. In the meeting room, Mr. Li，the manager of human resources Department introduced the good quality that elite talents are required; then, alumni and alumnae of USTC introduced to students their learning experience in USTC, encouraging students to grasp various opportunities provided by school to constantly wide their vision and improve themselves; after that, the sales department manager introduced what Wuxi had achieved and how to apply life science knowledge and life science technology better to benefit human. Finally, the students toured the sequencing laboratories, feeling the rapid progress and the wide application of biotechnology.
Afternoon, the students came to Shanghai National Center for Protein Science. Students were guided by every major researcher who is in charge of each lab and listened to a detailed introduction. Students had a deep understanding of magnetic resonance imaging, freeze Electron Microscopy Imaging, infrared imaging and were amazed by the development of science and technology. Only a few decades ago, protein structure determination needed hundreds of people and many years of hard work, and now with the use of advanced technology, it takes just a person 4 minutes to work out a basic four-dimensional structure of the protein molecules. Today, Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility can meet the needs of more than 200 research institutions. Researchers in China no longer need to go to the United States and Japan to complete the structure of proteins, substantially raised the level of China's scientific research and scientific research efficiency.
Through this activity, students strongly felt in 21st century, life sciences will be very promising, and they are determined to make their own important contribution to serve the happiness and health for human.
This event was planned by Professor Changlin Tian, the academic head teacher of 2015 Shizhang Bei class, and was organized by head teacher Yugang Guo. The activity was also strongly supported by WuXi AppTec in Shanghai and National Center for Protein Science Shanghai.
By Sa Liang, Grade 2015, School of Life Sciences
- Prof. Sun Baolin and his team constructed a gene knockdown system in S. aureus based on dCas9
- Prof. Sun Baolin and Prof. Cai Gang published an article in International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Scientists from USTC discover a new biomarker for early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, not only helping early diagnosis in clinic but also promoting drug trials
- A biology learning tour to Qingdao
- Molecular Mechanism of Zika Virus NS3 Helicase Activation by Metal Ions Uncovered