Member of NAS Dr. Yokoyama Visit the School of Life Science at USTC
- At the invitation of Prof. Tian Zhigang, Dean of the School of Life Science, Prof. Wayne M. Yokoyama from Washington University paid a three-day-visit to Institute of Immunology of USTC on Sept. 4th and Sept. 6th.
Dr. Wayne M. Yokoyama,Professor of Medicine and of Pathology and Immunology of Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. He is also Director of the M.D.-Ph.D. Program at Washington University. Prof. Yokoyama is amember of National Academy of Science (NAS) and the investigator of Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), he has accomplished significant achievements in the field of NK cell. His laboratory is credited with seminal discoveries on the molecular basis for the function of natural killer (NK) cells that are critical to the body’s innate immune defense against infections and tumors. He published more than 200 research papers and book chapters. including Nature, Science, Nat Immunol, Annu Rev Immunol, Immunity, Cell Host Microbe, PNAS, JEM, etc.
Prof. Yokoyama gave an inspiring presentation titled “Natural Killer Cell Tolerance for Self: Licensing by Self-MHC Class I”. The presentation fascinated a roomful of audiences and an enthusiastic discussion was followed involving both students and professors from the school.
In the afternoon andthe next day, Prof. Yokoyama attended a discussion meeting held by the Institute of Immunology. Prof. Yokoyama listened to the presentations made by 9 senior PhD students, and gave students valuable advices regarding their researches.Through the discussion, Prof. Yokoyama obtained a clearer image about the research findings in the Institute of Immunology, while the student gained a better understanding toward their current research projects.
A Photo of Dr. Yokoyama and professors from the Institute of Immunology at USTC
Dr. Yokoyama’s presentation on spot
Enthusiastic discussion after Dr. Yokoyama presentation
Dr. Yokoyama listened carefully to the presentations made by the PhD students from the Institute of Immunology
Dr. Yokoyama gave valuable advices to the students
- Prof. Sun Baolin and his team constructed a gene knockdown system in S. aureus based on dCas9
- Prof. Sun Baolin and Prof. Cai Gang published an article in International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Scientists from USTC discover a new biomarker for early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, not only helping early diagnosis in clinic but also promoting drug trials
- A biology learning tour to Qingdao
- Molecular Mechanism of Zika Virus NS3 Helicase Activation by Metal Ions Uncovered