Scientific Director of NIH-NIAAA Dr. Kunos Visit the School of Life Science at USTC
- From October 11th to 12th, Dr. Kunos, Scientific Director of NIH-NIAAA (National Institutes of Health-National Institutes of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism), and Dr. Gao, Lab Chief of Liver Biology Laboratory, paid a visit to the Institute of Immunology, School of Life Science, at USTC.
Dr. Kunos’research has been mainly focused on the biology of the endocannabinoid system, with particular focus on its role in metabolic and cardiovascular regulation. His laboratory was among the first to identify the role of endocannabinoids and their receptors in peripheral tissues in controlling the metabolic consequences of abdominal obesity. Around 200 articles have been published on variety of journals including: Nature, Science, Nat Medicine, J Clin Invest, Trends Pharmacol. Sci., Cell Metabolism, PNAS, etc.
Dr. Kunos gave an inspiring presentation titled “Endocannabinoids and the Metabolic Syndrome: Physiological and Therapeutic Implications”, and an enthusiastic discussion was followed involving both students and professors from the school. After the presentation, Dr. Kunos and Dr. Gao visited Institute of immunology, and talk with PI or senior PhD student one by one. Dr. Gao listened to the presentations made by the senior PhD students, and gave valuable advices and advanced discussion regarding the cooperation between immunology department and NIH-NIAAA.
Dr. Kunos and Mrs. Kunos, Dr. Gao, and the professors from the Institute of Immunology at USTC.
- Prof. Sun Baolin and his team constructed a gene knockdown system in S. aureus based on dCas9
- Prof. Sun Baolin and Prof. Cai Gang published an article in International Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Scientists from USTC discover a new biomarker for early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, not only helping early diagnosis in clinic but also promoting drug trials
- A biology learning tour to Qingdao
- Molecular Mechanism of Zika Virus NS3 Helicase Activation by Metal Ions Uncovered