LUO Liqun and ZHUANG Xiaowei Elected Members of US National Academy of Sciences
- On May 1st，The National Academy of Sciences announced the election of 84 new members, among whom are LUO Liqun and ZHUANG Xiaowei, alumni of the School for the Gifted Young of USTC. There are three ethnic Chinese among the newly elected members. The other one is DONG Xinnian from the Duke University，an alumnus of Wuhan University.
LUO Liqun is now investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and professor of the Department of Biology of Stanford University. In 1981, he was admitted to the School for the Gifted Young of USTC. Since 1987, many of his papers have been published on high-impact international academic journals such as PNAS, Neuron, Nature and so on. On April 17th, he was elected as member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
ZHUANG Xiaowei is now investigator of Howard Hughes Medical Institute and professor of chemistry and chemical biology and of physics of Harvard University. In 1987, she entered the School for the Gifted Young of USTC. She contributed a lot to the fields of the monomolecular dynamics, the interactions between nucleic acid and protein, the mechanisms of the gene expression and other biological fields. Zhuang was awarded HHMI collaborative Innovation Award，TR World’s Top 100 Young Innovators Award，Max Delbruck Prize in Biological Physics，Raymond & Beverly Sackler International Prize in Biophysics. In 2011, ZHUANG was offered Chair Professorship by USTC.
The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is a private, non-profit society of distinguished scholars engaged in scientific and engineering research, dedicated to the furtherance of science and technology and to their use for the public good. The reports that result from their deliberations have led to some of the most significant and lasting improvements in the health, education, and welfare of all Americans. The Academy's service to government has become so essential that Congress and the White House have issued legislation and executive orders over the years that reaffirm its unique role.
According to statistics, there have been a total of 8 scholars from China elected as members of National Academy of Sciences. ZHUANG Xiaowei and LUO Liqun were elected at the same time, making USTC ahead of other Chinese universities in the number of NAS members. At 40 years of age, ZHUANG Xiaowei also set a new record for being the youngest Chinese member.
The election of the two alumni shows the achievement of education of the School for the Gifted Young.
- Scientists from USTC Reveal WD40 Domain Hooks pre-snRNAs wit...
- USTC Uncovers the Secret of Small Interfering RNA
- USTC Reveals New Mechanisms of Lipid Metabolism Regulating S...
- USTC Reveals Epigenetic Regulatory Mechanism on Cutaneous T ...
- Mitochondrial Flash Signals Long-Term Memory at Neuronal Syn...